Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The journey begins...


Dot Festeu (aka dollenchantments)


Welcome to my place to showcase the doll designs in my Confections Collection. I'll be doing this collection for the Project Dollway at Home competition. Of course, if I happen to complete any other outfits, OOAK dolls, or repaints along the way, I'll include them too. The latter may be sparse - PDaH requires alot of work; at least it does for me.

If you're a doll person you're probably aware of PDaH. But for those who perhaps have been really busy, or possibly living under a rock - let me tell you a little about it.

It is a competition for doll fashion designers. It lasts six months, has already started, and will conclude in April. There will be 12 challenges. Each week a new one word challenge is given. Each artist must design and execute an outfit that both represents the challenge word, and flows with the other 11 designs in this competition to form a collection. This competition requires a big commitment, but it's also challenging, and a lot of fun.

As for me; I've always basically made OOAK dolls with outfits that were either sculpted or sewn onto the doll. Last year that all changed when I entered the At Home Challenges of the original Project Dollway and acquired an Ellowyne doll.

What a beauty is my Wigged Out, and all the more fun as I can change her personality as easily as changing her wig. What fun!! She just had to have outfits, so I had to make a real commitment to sew. But I've found being in a competition gives me guidelines and deadlines that have really helped me accomplish my goals!

Okay, well, I'm sure you're ready to hear all about my Collection - but I have to keep it under wraps until Monday. But check back then and I'll not only let you in on what the Collection will be based on, but I'll also show you the first design!

In the meantime, I've posted my latest finished creation. She reminds me of the Zena character's sidekick Gabriella, so I named her Gabriell. The original doll was made by the Tonner Company, and was known as a Seventeen doll. This doll is no longer in production, stands about 15 inches tall, and has flat feet. She has received a full repaint, and her costume is not removable. The trim features hand embroidery work, beading, and a sufficient amount of charms for one to imagine her outfit was made out of items found in a fairy garden. The skirt features machine embroidery and has been singed to emulate how it would have weathered during her forest forays. I had fun making this doll, and I hope you enjoy viewing her!

No comments: